A pregnant woman who consumed spinach that was contaminated with listeria allegedly miscarried her unborn child as a result, as stated in the lawsuit that a couple has lodged against a produce company and several other parties.
After being diagnosed with Covid-19 in December and being required to remain in quarantine at home, Mecca Shabazz, age 25, consumed baby spinach from Fresh Express in a smoothie.
On December 15th, she allegedly presented with copious bleeding and intense contractions, as well as physical tests that showed no foetal activity. The claim further states that there was no evidence of foetal movement.
According to the lawsuit, Shabazz delivered a child who was stillborn on the same day that it was determined that the foetus had passed away.
An autopsy revealed that maternal-foetal listeriosis was the sole cause of death for the foetus, as stated in the complaint that was filed at the end of the previous month.
On December 20, Fresh Express issued a recall for salad items that were manufactured at a plant in Streamwood, Illinois owing to the presence of potential listeria monocytogenes.
According to the Mayo Clinic, persons who are pregnant, over the age of 65, or have immune systems that have been impaired are at the most risk of developing lethal listeriosis.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the bacteria known as listeria has been associated with both spontaneous abortions and stillbirths. Pregnant women have a one hundred and ten times greater risk of being affected by it.
Julianna Burdo, who is Shabazz’s attorney, remarked on Wednesday that the couple is in utter disbelief.
Shabazz and Young have filed a lawsuit against the supermarket where the fruit was purchased, Fresh Express, as well as Chiquita Brands International, of which Fresh Express is a part, alleging personal injury, pain and suffering, and wrongful death as a result of the incident.