Dengue fever claimed the life of a child from Western Australia who was nine years old and was on vacation.
Glenn Pulgadas was said to be a “cheerful and enthusiastic young man” by those who knew him.
Glenn attended St. Anne’s School, located about 30 kilometres north of Bunbury. He was in the third grade there.
During the time that he was on vacation in the Philippines with his parents, Glenn and Ryza, he was paying a visit to various members of his extended family when he was bitten by a mosquito.
According to the ABC, the child first complained of feeling unwell on the 12th of August and was then admitted to the hospital.
He was described as having a “weak in look” due to the fact that he was suffering from headaches, fever, abdominal discomfort, vomiting, and nose bleeds.
After thereafter, Glenn had dengue shock, which is characterised by symptoms such as clamminess, a quick and weak pulse, and decreased pulse pressure.
As a direct consequence of this, Glenn passed away on August 25 due to organ failure.
A close friend of the family named Danielle Zarzycki described Glenn as “a bright, lively, and young guy who was so full of life and always had a smile on his face.”
The bites of certain kinds of mosquito can infect humans with dengue fever.
The symptoms of dengue fever can be mild and normally disappear within a few days, but only three out of every four people who contract the disease will end up becoming ill as a result of it.
People who have them frequently have symptoms such as nausea, rashes, and aches and pains, mainly in their eyes as well as their muscles and bones.
About one in every 20 persons who become ill with dengue will develop a more severe form of the disease.
In severe situations, the sickness can lead to shock, internal haemorrhage, and even death.
A severe case of dengue is indicated when a person experiences stomach pain, nausea and vomiting on a regular basis, bleeding, vomiting blood, extreme exhaustion, and irritability.
Dengue fever is considered to be a severe medical emergency and should be treated as such.