A newborn baby boy died after suffering severe burns during a house fire in Sydney’s southwest.
It happened at about 2.15pm on Wednesday.
Emergency services were called to the home on Darwin Road in Campbelltown after the kitchen caught on fire.
A child was also treated for smoke inhalation, though they did not require further assistance. A helicopter was then sent to the scene to assist with the baby’s treatment.
However, after he was taken to Campbelltown Hospital, he later died.
Superintendent Adam Dewberry of Fire and Rescue NSW confirmed that the baby had died.
According to police, the fire may have been caused by a tragic accident.
However, it’s not clear how the fire started. Fire and Rescue NSW Superintendent Adam Dewberry said that officers had entered the home to put out the flames, and paramedics then started treating the baby.
The incident has been handed over to the police. Mark Gibbs, the chief superintendent of NSW Ambulance, said that the paramedics faced a difficult situation when they arrived at the scene. He noted that the baby suffered burns over 80 percent to 90 percent of its body.
Despite the incident, he praised the crew’s efforts and said that there were also support services available for those affected by the incident.