Like many Victorian teens, Charlotte Studham was a passionate dancer who had a great smile that lit up the room. The talented 13-year-old from Bannockburn was preparing for her upcoming performance with her friends and family. But she never got to take the stage.
On November 3, 2021, Charlotte died in her sleep. Brooke, her mother, said they would do anything in their power to have her back. Charlotte was an exuberant teenager who lived a relatively normal life in a rural area near the city of Geelong.
She also had epilepsy. Her sudden death was caused by a condition known as sudden unexpected death in epilepsy, which affects about one in a thousand people with this condition. According to experts, this type of death can happen because of the lack of signs of trauma or other possible causes.
At the age of five, Charlotte was diagnosed with epilepsy. Over the years, her condition worsened and she would frequently experience seizures.
One particular day, she had 11 seizures in one day. According to Brooke, Charlotte was unable to walk or talk and lost a part of her memory.
After spending several days in the hospital, she was devastated to learn that she could no longer recall her favorite dance moves.
Her mother said that it was frightening to think that something like this could happen to her as she was still young. In the days before she died, Charlotte had continued experiencing seizures, which were characterized by a type of severe and debilitating attack known as tonic-clonic.
According to Brooke, her daughter’s fluctuating hormones and other medications could have caused her to have these extreme seizures.
Despite the difficulties that her family went through, Brooke said that they were still grateful for Charlotte’s life. She noted that despite their sorrow, they still did everything that she wanted to do. They also tried to let her be a kid.
The Studham family is currently speaking out about their experience in an attempt to raise awareness about the little-known but deadly condition known as sudden unexpected death in epilepsy.
Brooke said that they wanted to do something to raise awareness because even some of their friends weren’t aware of the risks associated with this condition.
She also noted that parents should always be on the lookout for their kids’ health.