A teenager was taken to the hospital after he swallowed a bluebottle jelly while he was celebrating Christmas at Sydney’s Bondi Beach.
According to paramedics, they were called to the beach at around 1.20pm. The young man was then taken to St. Vincent’s Hospital.
It was unclear how the teenager got into the water and ingested the poisonous jelly.
Although around a dozen people in Australia have been stung by marine stingers such as the bluebottle, only a few of them have died.
It’s not clear how these creatures, which are also known as Pacific man-of-war, can make their way to the country.
Instead of swimming, these creatures float on the surface and use the ocean currents to guide their gas-filled sacs.
According to a study conducted by the University of NSW, the majority of these beaching events occur during the summer season.