Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios demanded an apology from the media for what he considered to be a negative portrayal of him.
He had earlier revealed that he would be the first athlete featured in a documentary about the sport on Netflix.
This week, he pulled out of an event in Sydney, which was supposed to be a head-tohead match against Rafael Nadal.
He shocked his teammates and the tournament’s captain, Lleyton Hewitt, by announcing his withdrawal from the event shortly before a press conference was scheduled to begin. Later in the day, he took to Twitter to criticize his critics.
In response, he said that he was informed that he would be the first professional tennis player to appear in a documentary about the sport on Netflix.
He claimed that he was unfairly criticized by the media and that he would be the most talked-about episode of the series. The controversial athlete said that he was excited to grow the sport’s fan base on the platform.
The producers of a documentary about Formula 1 are hoping that their upcoming Netflix program, Drive to Survive Tennis, can help improve the image of the sport.
They noted that the show could also help boost the financial support for professional tennis players.
Due to Nick Kyrgios’ withdrawal from the Untied Cup, Hewiit had to make last minute changes to his lineup.
During a press conference, Sam Stosur, another Australian player, revealed that the controversial athlete was forced to withdraw due to an injury.
He will have around two weeks to recover in order to be ready for his first-round match at the Australian Open, which begins on January 16.