A pub owner in Melbourne received death threats after he docked a casual worker five hours of his pay due to his cellphone usage.
The worker, who was employed at a local sports bar and mini golf establishment, said on social media that he lost almost $300 in wages due to his actions.
The employee’s pay slip noted that he was docked for over five hours because he was using his cellphone during his shift.
He claimed that he was only working from open to close and that he felt that the penalty was excessive.
Many of his followers told him to report the incident to the Fair Work Ombudsman, as they believed that he was being unfairly docked.
However, a representative from the company said that the worker was issued multiple warnings for his excessive cellphone usage.
According to the representative of the company, the worker was alerted about his violation of the company’s policy when he started to use his phone after less than 30 minutes of his shift on January 2.
She noted that he had been warned multiple times about his cellphone usage.
The worker’s supervisor, who was based in Sydney, said that she warned him about his actions and that he would not be paid for the time he spent on his phone.
She then sent him home early the following day after he failed to perform his duties.
The supervisor said that she had been monitoring his activities through cameras and called him several times asking him to perform his tasks.
The worker’s supervisor claimed that she had a relaxed approach when it came to cellphone use, but she noted that the young man was taking advantage of her business.
Despite the support from the community, her decision not to pay the employee for his full shift was still not changed.
She noted that the worker was warned about his actions and that he would not be paid for the time he spent on his phone. She said that she would go through the Fair Work process if necessary.