The father of a child found dead inside a car in Sydney’s Glenfield on Thursday was released from police custody without charge.
The incident happened at around 3pm. It is believed that the child’s father had tried to reach his son by smashing the rear window of the vehicle.
The father tried to revive his son until the paramedics arrived, but he could not be saved.
The vehicle’s owner, who was a known friend of the boy, reportedly called the police after returning to the car to find the child inside.
According to police, the boy’s father was distraught upon learning that his son had been left inside the vehicle.
He reportedly forgot about his son’s presence when he parked the car earlier in the morning.
The father was taken into custody for questioning, but he was later released without charge.
Following the incident, the police established a crime scene and commenced an investigation.
Emergency workers were also offered counselling. At the scene, a small shrine with candles and flowers has been established.
According to Weatherzone, the temperature at Glenfield reached 31 degrees Celsius at around 2.50pm.
It was then hovering around 30 degrees for most of the afternoon. Christine Erskine, a representative of Kidsafe NSW, said that it is very dangerous to leave a child inside a car.
She noted that it can quickly rise to around 70 degrees within just 15 minutes.
According to her, there were about 5000 instances of people accidentally leaving their kids in hot cars in the past year.
She noted that it is very dangerous for parents to leave their kids in a vehicle.
According to her, children should be with their parents whenever they are traveling. However, she noted that sometimes, people forget about their responsibilities.
The NRMA has also urged people to never leave pets or children inside a car. It noted that the temperature inside a vehicle can reach almost double that of the outside temperature in just a couple of minutes.
The number of emergency calls regarding kids and pets being left inside hot cars increased last year.
The NRMA attributed most of the incidents to accidental. Dimitra Vlahomitros, a road safety expert, noted that it is very dangerous to leave children or pets inside a vehicle.
The temperature inside a vehicle can rise to almost double that of the outside temperature in just a couple of minutes.