According to reports, Laura Barajas, 40, lost four limbs after she accidentally ate contaminated fish.
The incident occurred months ago. She underwent emergency surgery on Thursday.
Anna Messina, a friend of Barajas, said that the incident could have happened to anyone.
She said that Barajas fell ill after eating fish that she had purchased from a market.
She was then placed on a ventilator and later in a medically induced coma.
According to her friend, Barajas had black feet, black fingers, and black lower lip.
She was also suffering from sepsis and kidney failure.
She was infected with a type of bacteria known as vibrio cholera.
An expert told reporters that people can get infected by eating contaminated seafood or tattoos.
This type of infection is especially concerning for people with weak immune systems, as it can lead to septic shock.
According to the CDC, around 150 to 200 cases of vibro cholera are reported yearly.
Around one in five of these infected individuals die. Baraja’s family is still waiting for more information regarding her condition.
To help Barajas with her medical expenses, Anna Messina established a Go Fund Me campaign.